OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) -- The man behind an effort to oust Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert from office says he's abandoning his push for a recall vote. Eric Scott issued that statement in a Facebook post.
Scott said that he and his family were involved in a traffic accident last Thursday night that "could have been a catastrophic loss." He wrote, "At that point I had to start doing some internal evaluations."
After a few days of reflection Scott wrote, "I will officially be taking myself and my family out of this fight. If someone else would like to take the wheel and drive I will encourage that effort and we have a strong infrastructure in place to do that."
Scott told 6 News last week, “We have a failing infrastructure that’s pretty blatant here in Omaha. You have potholes - that’s the big issue on tap right now. It’s not the only issue.”
He said his plan was to have a recall petition in the hands of voters toward the end of June or early July.
Mayor Stothert did not offer comment on the recall effort last week noting that she would speak to the matter if it eventually reached the petition stage.