Plattsmouth hardware store burglary suspect found in ceiling

By  | 

PLATTSMOUTH, Neb. (WOWT) -- A suspect attempting to hide at the scene of a burglary was caught by police responding to a 9-1-1 call for the Main Street hardware store.

According to a Plattsmouth Police Department report, the owner of Shaw Hardware called 9-1-1 just after 8 a.m. Sunday after watching video, via a Ring remote security camera connection, of a burglar wearing a black ski mask moving through the store.

“While we were driving here with 911 on the phone and giving them what we were seeing on the cameras, what we were seeing the suspect doing. We were reporting that with 911 as we came to the store," owner Mark Shaw said.

Shaw and his wife told 6 News dispatch had told the two to stay outside of the store, so the two reported details of the crook's whereabouts to police as it was happening.

The two's Nest app and security cameras made it possible for them to watch the suspect walk around the store as it was happening.

“We’re looking at the cameras, and we said, ‘No, he’s in the basement,’ because we’re sitting in our car out front. And we said, ‘No, he went to the basement.’ They knew he was down here, and so they were searching the basement," Shaw said.

Police found the suspect, Anthony D. Briand, 35, hiding in the ceiling in the basement. Officers took him into custody without incident, according to the report.

“He had climbed up into this cavity and was hiding up in there. We could hear the police on the video surveillance system say, ‘Crawl out, crawl out!'" Shaw said.

Shaw said officers had searched the basement for some time and struggled to find him. It wasn't until an officer shined his flashlight on what little was hanging from the ceiling.

“The only thing they could see was part of a pant leg hanging down," Shaw said.

Briand was taken to the Cass County Jail and booked on a burglary charge, the report states.

Though the ordeal was terrifying knowing Shaw's wife, Sue, could've been in the store at the time the burglary happened, the two are happy knowing no one was injured.