Omaha dad talks about 'trippin' after unknowingly eating kids' pot brownies
The now infamous Omaha dad who unknowing ate his kids' pot-laced brownies said it's the first time he's been under the influence of drugs in over 29 years. The 53-year-old husband and father of four said he's a former addict.
His afternoon sweet tooth-motivated binge turned out to be a rather regrettable situation for him Tuesday. The man told officers he was unloading groceries from a family car when he found the brownies, thought nothing of it, and ate a few.
“And I thought, ‘man what is wrong with me?’ And I went out and had a cigarette, and the dizziness didn’t go away. And I came back in and sat down. And I thought, 'I am going to go out and have another cigarette' and I went out, and I thought. ‘Wow I am really high,’” he said.
The man’s wife arrived home and together they figured out what happened and called medics. The man’s wife told officers their children, ages 19 and 20, had taken the car earlier in the day to get groceries.
“I have got some really bad anxiety, I think 'I am wasted.' I don’t know how I got wasted? We put two and two together. And I thought, 'Oh great magical brownies.'”
While police were still on scene his son arrived to confirm the brownies belonged to a sibling and he was “pretty sure it was just marijuana in the brownies.”
“I couldn’t stop fidgeting, I was like this the whole time. By the time I made it to the stairs, I was on my hands and knees, and the paramedics were trying to get me up the stairs to the bed. The cat was sitting at the top of the stairs like she always is, I said, ‘Watch out she can be a bitch,’” he said. “For a light weight, I was completely blown away wasted. To the point where I thought I was going to start tripping.”
After talking with his children he estimates there was about 12 milligrams per brownie.
“And the paramedics showed up, and I am like, 'Oh God, Oh God. I am going to have to change my sobriety date,'” he said. “I had spent six or seven years being loaded all the time. Ya know, and that is what got me sober. So I am sitting there 30 years later, thinking 'Oh my God, I am wasted.'”
Paramedics helped him to bed. He estimates the high lasted for about four hours. He tells WOWT 6 News it took him all of Wednesday to start feeling completely himself again.
"Losing my sobriety, that is a really big deal for me,” he said.
Police told the Omaha man they've have concluded their investigation. He's not afraid of any backlash from speaking publicly about the incident.