Officer injured in shooting released from hospital | Suspect in critical condition

Published: Jan. 30, 2017 at 1:32 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A suspect shot several times while exchanging gunfire with police is in critical condition at an Omaha hospital, officials say.

Investigators said Officer Jill Schillerberg, 39, and Officer Matthew Skradski, 36, were confronting a suspicious party near midtown Monday. There was an exchange of gunfire between the officers and the suspect. The suspect, 20-year old Monroe G. Evans, III, was struck multiple times. Officer Schillerberg, was struck in the left lower leg.

Deputy Chief Dave Baker told WOWT 6 News on the scene that officers were called to a home in the area shortly before 1 p.m. for a report of a suspicious party who was looking into windows.

Police attempted to talk to Evans, who was armed with a handgun. According to an eyewitness, shots were fired, police stepped back and an officer fired back at the suspect. At this point in the investigation it has not been determined if one or both of the officers fired their handguns. The situation resulted in a "help an officer" call being issued Monday afternoon near 31st and Turner Boulevard. It was canceled shortly afterward.

Officer Schillerberg was struck in the ankle. She has been released from the hospital. The Omaha Police Officers Union addressed the incident on social media, tweeting, "We are thankful that one of our own involved in the shooting is okay and in good spirits."

The group thanked the community for their concerns.

Evans was rushed to the hospital and underwent surgery. Police say he remains in critical condition.

Per Omaha Police Department policy Officers Schillerberg and Skradski have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the Officer-Involved Investigations Team and Internal Affairs investigations.

Police said four civilian witnesses have been interviewed, but many in the neighborhood heard the commotion on Monday.

“I was standing out the kitchen and I heard about 5 pops and I made a joke cuz I thought it was a gun and I was like 'oh someone is getting shot.' But I thought it was fireworks or a toy gun. Apparently it’s the real thing I guess," said neighbor Jeremey Thomas.

“I didn’t see nothing. I just heard two gunshots and all police officer cars coming down this way. So I just came out and came and you know,” said witness Mary Dillon. “People are crazy nowadays that’s all I have to say.”

“I was in my house and I heard about, I want to say seven gunshots. At first I thought it was a hammer, but it sounded like more of a popping. Almost instantaneously I heard the sirens and it kind of validated the gunshots," said nearby resident Betty Wulff. “I’ve lived here for 23 years, and this has never happened. It’s terrifying. It’s insane that something could happen like this in my neighborhood.”

The scene centered around Dewey Park. Many parts of Dewey Park were surrounded by crime tape. Anyone who was in the area of Dewey Park and witnessed this incident is encouraged to call the Omaha Police Department at 402-444-5656.