Nebraska COVID-19 update: Douglas County Health center confirms 2nd death; county reports 8 new cases

By  | 

(WOWT) -- Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services was reporting an additional 35 cases of COVID-19 on its website early Tuesday afternoon, including seven additional cases in Douglas County and one more case in Sarpy County.

Nebraska deaths reach 12

The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services announces the total deaths in the state has reached twelve.

The most recent one being a woman in her 90s with underlying health conditions.

Health center confirms 2nd death


Douglas County officials have confirmed that a second Douglas County Health resident died from COVID-19.

The Health Center has seven new COVID-19 cases as well. Five are staff members and two are long-term residents. According to the release, since March 29, the Health Center has had 25 positive cases.

The county's health department also reported eight new cases Tuesday: four men and four women age 26-78, according to a separate news release. Five cases were attributed to contact with a known case; the source of the remaining cases is still under investigation by health officials.

Dr. Adi Pour, direct of the county's health department, encouraged residents to wear homemade masks in public, according to the release.

"Wearing a homemade mask in public helps reduce the spread of COVID-19," Pour said in the release, noting it was important in places like grocery stores and retail outlets as well as instances when people come in contact with first-responders. "Remember: My mask protects you, and your mask protects me."

Death reported in Hall County


Central District Health Department reported a second COVID-19 death in Hall County on Tuesday morning.

The woman in her 60s had been hospitalized, according to the news release.

Health officials there say limited testing from the National Guard for health care workers there has been further limited because of testing supply "issues," according to the release.

"We are making adjustments accordingly in order to facilitate testing 150 health care workers today and tomorrow," the release states.

New cases reported in Lincoln


Lincoln Mayor Gaylor Baird and the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department said an additional case of COVID-19 has been identified by the state lab. The mayor then reported two additional cases during her daily news conference at 3:30 p.m., bringing the city's total to 34.

Earlier this morning, LLCHD reported it was monitoring 112 people with COVID-19, the release states. The health district has had 1,041 negative tests, and 17 more are pending at the Nebraska Public Health Lab.


RELATED: More coverage | Global cases | Metro cases