TripAdvisor has taken on the formidable task of ranking the Top 10 Burger restaurants in America and Lincoln's Honest Abe's Burgers & Freedom won the bronze - finishing third.
Top honors went to Al’s Burger Shack in Chapel Hill, North Carolina but that's way over in, well, it's too far to go for lunch.
So let's start with Number 3.
Honest Abe’s, with 555 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 bubbles on TripAdvisor, was founded by cousins Gabe Lovelace and Erik Hustad. They've been serving 6-ounce patties to Lincolnites since 2012.
- Signature burger: “Greatest Burger Ever” topped with chopped bacon, griddled onions, “awesome sauce,” American cheese, ketchup and romaine lettuce
- What TripAdvisor diners say: “If you are in the market for exotic and delicious combinations atop a wonderful beef burger you've come to the right place.”
TripAdvisor says its rankings are based on millions of reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor diners.
“We have leveraged the feedback from diners browsing TripAdvisor to surface the best burger restaurants in America,” said Brooke Ferencsik, senior director of communications for TripAdvisor. “This list serves up some of juiciest, crowd-pleasing burgers you should try – ranging from the traditional patty, to those with toppings including peanut butter and fried eggs. Millions of diners can, and do, find it all on TripAdvisor.”
For the record, here's the whole, unvarnished and unabridged top bananas in the ground beef round-up.
Top 10 Burger Restaurants in the U.S.
1.) Al’s Burger Shack – Chapel Hill, North Carolina (272 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 bubbles on TripAdvisor) Located steps away from the University of North Carolina campus, Al’s Burger Shack prides itself on being local and sustainable – serving up juicy, all-natural, hormone and antibiotic-free burgers since 2013.
- Signature burger: “Bobo Chili Cheeseburger” topped with chili sauce, slaw, chopped onion, yellow mustard and American cheese.
- What TripAdvisor diners say: “A must visit for all hamburger lovers. Big, juicy burgers and unique rosemary fries. Combine these with an attentive, local owner and friendly staff and you've got a winner!”
2. Brooks Gourmet Burgers & Dogs – Naples, Florida (2,540 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 bubbles on TripAdvisor) With more than 40 years of combined hospitality experience, Todd Brooks and his wife moved their family to Naples to open Brooks Gourmet Burgers & Dogs in 2010. Now operating three locations, the couple has remained committed to delivering the perfect burger.
- Signature burger: “Donut Burger” topped with American cheese and bacon between two glazed donuts
- What TripAdvisor diners say: “They offer all kinds of unique burgers and yummy milkshakes. The burgers are excellent quality and cooked just right.”
3. Honest Abe’s Burgers & Freedom – Lincoln, Nebraska. See above.
4. Grumps Burgers – Granbury, Texas (314 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 bubbles on TripAdvisor) Named after founder Collier Albright’s grandfather, Grumps Burgers continues to provide top-notch burgers and service in a fun, clean, affordable, and casual atmosphere.
- Signature burger: “Queso Burger” topped with queso, mustard, lettuce, tomato, pickle and onion
- What TripAdvisor diners say: “This is the best burger we have eaten, and not just in Granbury. We love the crispy bun, fresh toppings and meat.”
5. Slabtown Café and Burgers – Traverse City, Michigan (464 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 bubbles on TripAdvisor) Located in a house in the Slabtown district – a west-side Traverse City neighborhood named after the housing style from logging days – Slabtown Café and Burgers patties up to 800 pounds of burger daily.
- Signature burger: “Slabtown Special” double burger with American cheese, lettuce, grilled onions, topped with “Slabtown Sauce”
- What TripAdvisor diners say: “Great menus of specialty burgers - the toppings are flavorful without overwhelming the burger. Good quality beef cooked perfectly!”
6. Burger Republic – Nashville, Tennessee (353 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 bubbles on TripAdvisor) Burger Republic has been serving up gourmet burgers – using only 100% fresh certified Angus Beef – along with American craft beers and hand-spun milkshakes to Nashville travelers and locals since opening its first location in 2012.
- Signature burger: “The Tennessee” burger topped with Jack Daniel’s honey glaze, American cheese, smoked ketchup, maple basted Benton’s Bacon and Memphis
- What TripAdvisor diners say: “Burgers are hit or miss, but these ones nailed it! Juicy and flavorful with crispy in the right way buns and the fries... oh the fries.”
7. Pearl’s Deluxe Burgers – San Francisco, California (816 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 bubbles on TripAdvisor) Founded in 2003, Pearl’s has developed a loyal San Francisco fan base for its classic burgers served in a no-frills atmosphere at an affordable price.
8. Back Door Grill – Steamboat Springs, Colorado (355 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 bubbles on TripAdvisor) Back Door Grill has a passion for fresh ingredients, old fashioned burgers and cold brews. The local joint has been serving all-natural Colorado beef burgers paired with hand cut French fries and onion rings to the Steamboat Springs community since 2014.
- Signature burger: “Dirty Harry” burger topped with peanut butter, fried egg, bacon, hash brown, cheddar on a glazed donut with powdered sugar
- What TripAdvisor diners say: “The burger was fresh and delicious and I really loved the tater tots. Great prices.”
9. MacPhail’s Burgers – Jackson, Wyoming (861 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 bubbles on TripAdvisor) Started in honor of owner Bruce Bollinger’s immigrant, pioneering grandmother Agnes MacPhail, MacPhail’s Burgers is a family-operated restaurant that has remained dedicated to creating the best burgers, fries and milkshakes in a rustic, friendly environment since 1945.
- Signature burger: “All Jacked Up” 1/2 pound premium Angus beef, Colby Jack cheese, slow-simmered barbeque sauce, Applewood smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato, and red onion
- What TripAdvisor diners say: “Amazing, juicy, flavor-filled burgers cooked to your specifications. Fries outstanding...plenty of those little crispy bits, cut fresh daily.”
10. The Burger Dive – Billings, Montana (574 reviews and 4.5 out of 5 bubbles on TripAdvisor) With no prior restaurant experience, avid griller and self-taught chef Brad Halsten opened The Burger Dive in 2010. Today, the restaurant continues to pay homage to the classic drive-ins and diners, while simultaneously delivering innovative, high-quality burgers.
- Signature burger: “I’m Your Huckleberry” 1/3 pound Angus burger covered with Huckleberry Hatch chili barbecue sauce, bacon, goat cheese, roasted red pepper mayo, arugula and served on a Grains of Montana bun
- What TripAdvisor diners say: “Let’s just say these burgers are mouthwatering goodness. Such amazing seasoning flavors, very juicy and they offer so many yummy toppings!”