Hot laptop battery blamed for metro apartment fire

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) -- Authorities say an overheated laptop computer battery was to blame for a fire that caused an estimated $5,000 damage to a metro apartment Friday.

OFD got the call to 171st and Cedar Plaza at 10:14 a.m. An automatic fire detection signal had sounded.

Crews arrived to find smoke in the building, tracked the source to a fire in an apartment and called for additional help.

The flames were quickly extinguished.

Investigators tracked the cause to that laptop battery.

The tenant, who was not home at the time, was displaced. There were no injuries.