McCoy In, Herbster Out Of Governor's Race
Republican state Sen. Beau McCoy is planning to jump into the 2014 Nebraska governor's race.
A campaign spokesman said Friday that McCoy, of Omaha, was meeting with supporters and people who have worked in his previous legislative campaigns. The spokesman says McCoy will file campaign paperwork with the state in advance of a formal announcement.
McCoy, who owns a home improvement contracting business, has been active in the Republican Party since his teens. The 32-year-old was elected to the Nebraska Legislature in 2008 and re-elected last year.
McCoy will compete against state Sens. Charlie Janssen of Fremont and Tom Carlson of Holdrege in the GOP primary. Republican Pete Ricketts of Omaha is also expected to join the governor's race.
Republican Charles Herbster has withdrawn from the governor's race before he officially announced his candidacy. Herbster had formed a candidate committee, leased office space in Omaha and assembled a campaign staff, but had not formally announced that he was running.
Herbster spokesman Kent Grisham says Herbster isn't running because his wife is recuperating from a heart condition and the process hasn't gone as well as they had hoped. Herbster decided within the last week that he wasn't going to run, but Grisham says he may be interested in seeking office in the future.