Fire leaves one home uninhabitable

Published: Nov. 17, 2018 at 3:19 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

One home was left unlivable after a fire broke out near 78th and Lafayette Saturday afternoon.

Officials said the fire started in the basement and traveled up to the kitchen.

They were called to the scene for a defective appliance and saw smoke on approach. The occupant said the fire started in the dryer.

Officials report the fire traveled through the breaker box and up into the kitchen via the dishwasher.

Firefighters had to knock out some of the back wall to expose the fire and put it out. The flames were extinguished quickly.

Damage occurred near the home's power meter, so OPPD was called to shut off the utility.

The Red Cross is assisting the homeowners while they are unable to use their house.