FLOOD VICTIM RESOURCES: Information for those who need help

Flooding in Ashland, Neb. on Monday, March 18.
By  | 

Where to find answers about safety, available aid, and other information for those affected by the Heartland Flood.

Government assistance

President Trump declared a disaster in Nebraska on Thursday, March 21, and in Iowa on Saturday, March 23, making federal funds available to state residents and businesses affected by floods.

APPLY: DisasterAssistance.gov | 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA)
[TTY is available at 1-800-462-7585 for the hearing and speech impaired.]

The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.

SBA Business Recovery Center
The Small Business Administration is opening a Business Recovery Center in Bellevue on Wednesday, March 27th.

UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS: FEMA has an FAQ about eligibility for disaster assistance for those with varied levels of citizenship

Sarpy County Flood information
NDOT Flood Recovery Updates

Unemployment assistance

FEMA JOBS: Nebraska | Iowa
FEMA is hiring local Nebraskans and Iowans interested in temporary job opportunities. Visit USAJOBS.gov, and search for "FEMA Local Hire" at your city, state, or ZIP Code.

IOWA: Residents of Fremont, Harrison, Mills, Monona, and Woodbury counties can apply for disaster unemployment assistance (DUA).


A volunteer Resource center opened in Glenwood, Iowa a the GRC Flood Relief Site with volunteers to provide cleanup assistance for flood victims.

The center is open 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday and homeowners can call 515-444-2444 to clarify their Crisis Cleanup status or set up cleanup assistance.

Nebraska Emergency Management Agency

The Nebraska Emergency Management Agency Public Assistance Unit works with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to provide assistance in the wake of disaster. [Information also available in Spanish]


Find help in your county: MILLS COUNTY | POTTAWATTAMIE

Nebraska Emergency Management Agency

24/7 HOTLINE: Call 2-1-1 for help finding local services and resources in all languages.

WATER TESTING: Free March 28-29 | April 1-2

WHO'S THERE? Infographic about who might be dropping by after a flood. English | Spanish

CONTRACTOR CHECKLIST: DOs & DON'Ts, your rights, and how to verify credentials

Iowa Emergency Management

HOTLINE: 712-520-4000
If you do not reach someone immediately, please leave a message.
  • Apply for support: Applications to receive funds from this donation pool will be available at Mills County Public Health starting March 25; and will be posted online to the Mills County website.

FREE MEALS: Free, hot meals are currently being served at the YMCA:

  • Breakfast is served from 7 to 9 a.m.
  • Lunch is served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
  • Dinner is served from 4 to 7 p.m.

QUESTIONS & CONCERNS: Contact Sheri Bowen at 712-527-0137

UPDATES: Find out the current status of flooding, available resources, health and safety, the FEMA process, and next steps. [MORE]

Food Banks & Pantries

Food Bank of Iowa: LOCATIONS

Food Bank for the Heartland: RECOVERY PLAN | FOOD ACCESS | FOOD FOR KIDS

GET HELP: How to access food today, in months ahead

Find a food pantry: NEBRASKA | IOWA

Nebraska DHHS

Child care providers may apply for a one-time recovery grant if they meet the following criteria:
  • The child care provider has been affected by the blizzard and/or flooding that occurred in March 2019.
  • The child care provider is a currently licensed Family Child Care Home, Child Care Center or a License Exempt Provider with a Child Care Subsidy Agreement.
  • The child care provider has not applied for this grant in the past year.

Grants are awarded in the following amounts:

  • License Exempt Providers: $500 maximum
  • Family Child Care Homes: $5,000 maximum
  • Child Care Centers: $10,000 maximum


Iowa Department of Health & Human Services

IOWA GRANT PROGRAM: The Iowa Individual Assistance Grant Program provides grants of up to $5,000 for households with incomes up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level or a maximum annual income of $41,560 for a family of three.

Applicants have until May 2 to submit a claim. INFO | CHECK ELIGIBILITY | APPLICATION | DROP-OFF LOCATIONS

Veterans Affairs

FLOOD ASSISTANCE: Apply via your local office | Find additional resources

FIND SERVICES: Omaha-metro Network of Care

Food & water safety

Health information

Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services

WANT EMAIL UPDATES? Subscribe here to get alerts in your inbox

REMINDER: Tetanus immunization is recommended for all adults every 10 years. Exposure to floodwaters doesn’t increase the risk of tetanus according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. However, if you get a severe wound or deep cut, check with your health care provider to see if you need a booster.


Clean-up information

HOTLINE: Habitat for Humanity of Omaha and Rubicon, a disaster relief organization, are offering to help homeowners clean up from the flood, according to the Sarpy County Sheriff. Call the number below to be connected with reputable relief agencies who can assist with home cleanup, including cutting fallen trees, removing drywall, installing tarp roofs and more.
  • Crisis Clean Up Hotline: 1-833-556-2476

NEMA CLEAN-UP GUIDE: Tips for when you return home

OSHA: Flood conditions contribute to the growth and transmission of many kinds of fungi, some of which can cause sickness. Cleanup workers are at increased risk of exposure to airborne fungi and their spores because they often handle moldy building materials, decaying vegetable matter, rotting waste material, and other fungus-contaminated debris.

GUIDE: Flooded home repair

TIPS: Flood clean-up & salvage tips

Consumer information

NEMA SCAM ALERT: What to watch for

Animal assistance

Nebraska Humane Society

MESSAGE BOARD: Request or offer help and/or donations


Agricultural support


DOWNLOAD: Caring for livestock during disasters

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Emergency Loan Progam: Provides eligible farmers low-interest loans to help them recover from production and physical losses.

Livestock idemnity program: Provides benefits to livestock producers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by adverse weather.

Non-insured crop disaster assistance: Producers who suffer losses to or are prevented from planting agricultural commodities not covered by federal crop insurance may be eligible for this program if the losses were due to natural disasters.


Nebraska Department of Agriculture

CROP SAFETY: Food crops guide

HAY & FORAGE HOTLINE: Find free hay, pasture, and other types of forage by calling 402-471-4876.

Farm Service Agency


Lancaster Event Center has opened its facilities to farmers with livestock impacted by the floods.

To make arrangements:

Nebraska Farm Bureau

DISASTER RELIEF FUND: Provides emergency aid to Nebraska farmers, ranchers, and rural communities affected by recent storms and flooding. Priority will be given to efforts to restore health and safety in rural communities and to farm and ranch households that have been damaged or displaced by the natural disaster.


  • Clearinghouse: Check the message board
  • Get help now: If you need immediate assistance, call the Nebraska Department of Agriculture at 1-800-831-0550.

Mental health resources


AWARENESS: Don't forget to take care of your mental and emotional health, too. See this guide from the American Red Cross to learn more about common reactions to a disaster, what a survivor can do to cope with these emotions, and where to seek additional help if needed.

CRISIS HOTLINE: If you are experiencing emotional distress related to a disaster, the Substatnce Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration, or SAMHSA, offers toll-free crisis counseling and support through the Disaster Distress Helpline.

  • Call 1-800-985-5990
  • Text "TalkWithUs" to 66746

IOWA HELP LINE: The Iowa Disaster Behavioral Health Response Team, or DBHRT, is a trained team of volunteers who will respond to the mental health needs of Iowa residents following disasters and critical incidents. To request DBHRT assistance, contact the Homeland Security and Emergency Management Duty Officer, available 24/7, at 515-725-3231. [INFO]