The American Red Cross is reminding anyone who might have to evacuate from their home to bring essential items for each member of the family.
Such items might include:
- Prescriptions and emergency medications
- Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
- Identification to show residence is in affected area
- Important personal documents
- Extra clothing
- Pillows, blankets, and other comfort items
- Hygiene supplies
- Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula, and toys
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
The shelters will remain open as long as necessary. The Red Cross is working closely with local emergency management officials to coordinate relief services.
Other things to keep in mind as you prepare for a possible evacuation:
- Keep you vehicle's gas tank full, and make sure you have an emergency kit in it. Consider also downloading a fuel app to check for fuel station outages along your route.
- Have a battery-operate radio with you.
- Plan how you will care for your pets during an evacuation
- Bring supplies such as water and non-perishable food for the car ride.
- Follow recommended evacuation routes. Do not take shortcuts.
- Let friends and family know before you leave and when you arrive, both when you evacuate and when you return home.
- Avoid downed power or utility lines, and immediately report them to the appropriate utility company.