BELLEVUE, Neb. (WOWT)-- A warning from police: check your kids' Halloween candy. Bellevue parents say their son bit into a sewing needle that was hidden inside a Twix candy bar.
Bryce and Reanna Ady are horrified but happy their son Lucas is okay.
“I just unwrapped it and took a bite of it. Then, I felt a poke on my cheek, pulled it out, and there was a needle in it,” Lucas told 6 News.
Reanna says she was right there when it happened and called Bellevue Police right away. She's thankful the needle didn't injure him or even worse.
“It could have gotten caught in his throat; something could have been on it and infected him,” said Reanna.
Lucas says he spent time trick-or-treating in the Avery Hills neighborhood near Bellevue West Tuesday night. Reanna contacted all of his friends parents, warning them of what happened. She also took to Facebook and the Next Door App to get the word out.
“I was in disbelief, like how did this even happen? How could it happen? That's not a real thing, but it was,” Reanna added.
For now, Lucas says he'll just break his candy piece by piece.
“I was just so amazed that it happened to me, especially in this neighborhood,” said Lucas.
He says he's still nervous and probably won't go trick-or-treating next year. Lucas' parents tell me they'll definitely be looking at other options.
“It kind of changes your mind a bit,” said Reanna. “We just want to make him safe.”
Bellevue Police tell 6 News they are investigating. It's the only case that's been reported to them so far, but we found other incidents elsewhere. In Wisconsin, needles were allegedly found in several trick-or-treaters' candy and heroin reportedly found in a kid's bag in West Virginia.
Authorities say it's important to double and even triple-check what your child consumes.
If you notice your child's candy has been tampered with, be sure to call your local law enforcement right away.