Law enforcement still searching for man after chase ends at south Omaha park

Police are still searching for the man responsible for leading cops on a chase in South Omaha's Mandan Park Wednesday.
Published: May. 17, 2023 at 4:00 PM CDT|Updated: May. 17, 2023 at 4:01 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - Several agencies have been searching for a man who fled a traffic stop on Wednesday afternoon.

Bellevue Police gave more details Thursday morning, saying the chase started after a driver fled an attempted traffic stop in the area of Fort Crook and Chandler roads. The Wednesday afternoon chase ended in a south Omaha park when the man fled into the woods at Mandan Park, leaving his passenger — a minor — behind in the vehicle.

Police told 6 News she would not be charged but that the man they were chasing had fired two gunshots in a May 4 incident before fleeing from authorities. BPD told 6 News the incident arose from an altercation between two men. Shots were fired, but no one was hurt, and the shooter fled the scene, according to police.

During Wednesday’s police stop, the officer attempted to block the driver in, but the driver rammed the cruiser and took off. There was a high-speed chase into Omaha. The pursuit was terminated after the officer lost sight of him.

Council Bluffs Police officers eventually located the car in the parking garage at Ameristar Casino. When CBPD officers attempted a traffic stop, the driver fled westbound on Interstate 80 into Omaha, took the 13th Street exit, and headed south.  Omaha Police joined the chase, which ended at the park.

Multiple authorities are searching for a suspect in South Omaha's Mandan Park area.

While police didn’t block off traffic near the park, drivers were advised to stay away from the area along 13th Street just north of the line separating Omaha and Bellevue at Harrison Street as there has been a lot of police activity observed there.

Officers from Omaha, Bellevue, and Council Bluffs police departments were at the scene Wednesday as well as personnel from the U.S. Marshals Service, county sheriff’s office, and the Metro Fugitive Task Force.

The man had not been found as of Thursday morning. BPD told 6 News they weren’t releasing the name of the suspect but said they didn’t feel anyone else was in danger.