Crews determine fireworks ignited fire in Omaha neighborhood

The blaze spread to two houses.
The fire department said the flames were caused by fireworks that ended up inside the dumpster.
Published: Jul. 4, 2022 at 12:46 PM CDT|Updated: Jul. 4, 2022 at 4:40 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - A dumpster next to an empty house caught fire in north Omaha on Sunday night after fireworks were thrown away, fire officials said.

The blaze spread to two houses in the 2500 block of Pratt Street. The vacant house sustained the most damage.

No one was displaced from the fire.

“My advice would be going to professional shows, leave fireworks to the professionals, we have too many injuries this time of year anyway from fireworks and careless acts that destroy property, my suggestion would be is supervise kids at all times and go to professional shows,” said Capt. Donald Dooley, Acting Battalion Chief, Omaha Fire Dept.

Both M.U.D. and OPPD also responded to the fire.

Copyright 2022 WOWT. All rights reserved.