Nebraska governor applauds SNAP initiative’s successes
LINCOLN, Neb. (WOWT) - Gov. Pete Ricketts highlighted a state re-employment program in a news conference Wednesday afternoon.
“SNAP Next Step connects families receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits to reemployment services such as job search coaching and interviewing skills. This program is helping Nebraskans achieve higher incomes, more financial independence, and less reliance on government assistance,” according to a news release from the governor’s office.
Stephanie Beasley, director of Children and Family Services, talked more about the program, as did April Claussen, a participant in the program who has benefited from SNAP Next Step. Claussen said the program helped her obtain an Associate’s Degree and find a job with the state Department of Labor.
State officials said that more than 200 families have benefited from the program since it went into effect in July 2016.
“About 60% of these families no longer rely on state food assistance, and the other 40% have reduced their need for SNAP benefits,” according to a release from the govenor’s office.
Watch Wednesday’s news conference
Copyright 2021 WOWT. All rights reserved.