Wednesday July 21 COVID-19 update: Nebraska health department to report case, vaccine data weekly
(WOWT) - Below are today’s vaccination updates as well as data reports on new cases and other COVID-19 stats reported by health officials across Nebraska and Iowa.
Keep scrolling to find helpful links and other information, including phone numbers to call for help getting signed up for your vaccine.
Douglas County cases update
The Douglas County Health Department on Wednesday reported a COVID-19 death: an unvaccinated man in his 50s brings the local death toll to 737.
DCHD also reported it had confirmed 37 new positive cases of COVID-19, bringing the local total to 72,829 positive cases.
The rolling seven-day average is 35 cases.
The health department also reported Wednesday that local hospitals were 77% full, with 334 beds available; and ICU beds were 69% full with 104 beds available. Of those patients, 34 were hospitalized with COVID-19, 14 of them in ICUs, and seven on ventilators. DCHD is also monitoring three other patients for signs of COVID-19.
The DCHD COVID-19 dashboard no longer reports COVID-19 recoveries.
Nebraska DHHS restarts data reporting
Three weeks after ending its COVID-19 dashboard on June 30, the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services on Wednesday said it will post Nebraska COVID-19 data weekly on the DHHS website.
CASES & TESTING
According to Wednesday’s report, amid testing done July 11-17, the state found 4.7% positive tests. The state was also reported 97 active COVID-19 hospitalizations.
As of Wednesday, the state has confirmed 226,442 cases; 3,110,923 tests; and 2,285 deaths since the start of the pandemic.
To date, Nebraska has confirmed 2,194 COVID-19 variant cases, including:
- 1,699 cases of the B.1.1.17 variant, known as the U.K. variant
- 246 cases of the B.1.617 variant, known as the delta variant
- 69 cases of the P1 variant, known as the Brazil variant
- 21 cases of the B.1.351, known as the South Africa variant
- 119 cases of the B.1.429/427 variants, known as the California variants
- 37 cases of the B.1.526 variant, known as the New York variant
Also on Wednesday, DHHS reported that 49.5% of Nebraskans were considered fully vaccinated, with 3.7% of residents partially vaccinated. To date, the state had administered 1,888,859 COVID-19 vaccination doses, amounting to 91.7% of its allocated supply.
Federal Retail Pharmacy Program: Pharmacies in and near the Omaha-metro area currently participating in the program include:
- Medicine Man Pharmacy, 15615 Pacific St. Suite 8, Omaha NE 668118
- Think Aksarben Pharmacy LLC, 710 W. Center Road, Omaha NE 68106
- ViaRx, 825 N. 90th St., Omaha NE 68114
- Walmart, 3010 E. 23rd St., Fremont NE 68025
Douglas County COVID-19 vaccination clinics are limited this week:
- Tuesday: Get a vaccination from 4-7 p.m. at The Simple Foundation, located at 30th and W streets.
- Wednesday: Get a vaccination from 8:30-11:30 a.m. at the Allergy/Asthma/Immunology Medical Office, located at 2808 S. 80th Ave.
The DCHD clinic at 1111 S. 41st St. will be closed Thursday and Friday due to staff training, so Friday’s walk-in vaccination clinic will be canceled this week.
DCHD WALK-IN CLINIC: Friday’s walk-in vaccination clinic is canceled for this week.
DOWNTOWN CLINIC: TotalWellness Health and the Metropolitan Community Church, located at 819 S. 22nd St., are hosting a COVID-19 vaccination clinic from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays.
CHURCH CLINIC: Metropolitan Community Chuch of Omaha will host a walk-in COVID-19 vaccination clinic from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. No ID is required, but a parent or guardian must be present at the clinic with teens ages 12-18.
MCC FORT OMAHA: Vaccinations also will be distributed Mondays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Metropolitan Community College’s Fort Omaha campus, located at 5300 N. 30th St. Appointments will be made through the county’s vaccination registry.
TOTAL WELLNESS: DCHD has been working with Total Wellness, located at 9320 H Court, to establish a vaccination clinic from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
VETERANS: Any eligible veterans can go to the Omaha VA Medical Center’s COVID-19 vaccination clinics’ walk-in hours from 9 a.m. to noon weekdays and 8 a.m. to noon on Saturdays at the new Ambulatory Care Center.
Three Rivers health district
- In Dodge County, the Three Rivers Fremont location is open for walk-ins from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday; and 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Friday.
- In Saunders County, the Three Rivers clinic in Lake Wanahoo is open to walk-ins from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on the first and third Mondays of the month.
- In Washington County, the clinic at First Lutheran Church in Blair is open to walk-ins from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month.
NEBRASKA VACCINE HOTLINE: Gov. Pete Ricketts has asked Nebraskans to call 402-552-6645 or toll-free at 833-998-2275 for more information on the Nebraska COVID-19 vaccination process. DO NOT call your local health department.
DOUGLAS COUNTY HELPLINE: Local COVID-19 information, in Spanish and English, is available from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays, except for holidays. Call 402-444-3400 for assistance.
TEST NEBRASKA HOTLINE: To get answers about Test Nebraska tests, results, communications, etc., call 402-207-9377.
IOWA VACCINE HOTLINE: Older or home-bound Iowans looking for help scheduling a COVID-19 vaccination appointment can call 1-866-468-7887 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday; or contact Connections Area Agency on Aging at 712-328-2540 or 1-800-432-9209.
REFERENCE NOTE -- 6 News pulls data from Nebraska and Iowa COVID-19 dashboards at 6 p.m. daily. Other reports in this post come from official news releases from area health departments and other authorities as stated.
Where to get a test: Douglas County
Vaccine information: Douglas County | Douglas County clinics | Nebraska | Nebraska FAQ | Nebraska timeline | Nebraska Phase 1A tiers | Nebraska Phase 1B tiers || Iowa | Pottawattamie County | Mills County | Fremont County
School dashboards: Omaha Public Schools | Millard Public Schools | Bellevue Public Schools | Westside Community Schools | Gretna Public Schools | Elkhorn Public Schools | Lincoln Public Schools | UNL | Midland University
Copyright 2021 WOWT. All rights reserved.