Advertisement

Nebraska Gov. Ricketts blasts President Biden for Keystone XL pipeline exit

Updated: Jun. 9, 2021 at 5:47 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LINCOLN, Neb. (WOWT) - Gov. Pete Ricketts blamed President Biden after the sponsor of the Keystone XL crude oil pipeline announced the project would be terminated, saying the president was prioritizing “radical environmental activists” over U.S. interests.

In one of his first actions as president, Biden canceled the pipeline permit the day he took office in January citing longstanding climate change concerns.

Calgary-based TC Energy said Thursday it was pulling the plug on the partially built 1,200-mile pipeline meant to transport crude from oil fields of western Canada to Steele City, Neb. It would have moved up to 830,000 barrels (35 million gallons) of crude daily, connecting in Nebraska to other pipelines that feed oil refineries on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

Ricketts said in an emailed statement that the decision hurts Nebraska taxpayers and keeps the U.S. dependent on foreign oil.

Construction on the project, previously stalled during the Obama administration, got underway again last year when President Trump revived it.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had objected to the move. Alberta invested more than $1 billion in the project last year, kick-starting construction that had stalled amid determined opposition to the line from environmentalists and Native American tribes along its route.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright 2021 WOWT. All rights reserved.