Advertisement

Glenwood restaurant helps employees displaced by fire

Published: Apr. 11, 2021 at 5:20 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GLENWOOD, Iowa (WOWT) - A Glenwood restaurant is pitching in to help tenants displaced by last week’s fire at the downtown square.

Three of those tenants work at the Buck Snort Restaurant, which is next-door to the apartments. The owner says they’re some of the most loyal and longtime employees.

“These people—they’ve helped us since day one in our business every day,” owner Dwayne Pleas said.

One of the three restaurant employees spent Sunday moving the last of her belongings elsewhere. She declined to talk on camera since she was busy moving.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office says improperly extinguished smoking material caused these apartments to burn early Tuesday morning.

This coming Saturday, Pleas says he’s giving 10 percent of sales to his Glenwood location employees displaced by the fire. Whatever that amount ends up being, he plans to match it.

“When something like this happens, you should give back to your help,” Pleas said. “Those are the people that keep your business running.”

Glenwood Fire & Rescue says Pacific Junction and Red Oak fire departments also helped put out the heavy fire at the historic buildings.

Tenants still living next-door say the burned apartments are charred inside and the roof looks like it caved in.

The small town is showing support in a big way online. Family, friends, and strangers donated more than $6,000.

“Come out and show them some love around Glenwood,” Pleas said. “Also, check out the rest of Glenwood. There are other businesses trying to help out too.”

State Fire Marshals say no one was injured in the fire.

Copyright 2021 WOWT. All rights reserved.