Standoff in Bennington leaves one in custody

Published: Apr. 10, 2021 at 6:56 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BENNINGTON, Neb. (WOWT) - The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office give details later Saturday about the standoff in Bennington.

Philip Barrientos, 33, was booked for three counts of assault on an officer, three counts of terroristic threats, one count of use of a weapon (gun) by a prohibited person, one count of domestic assault, and one count of third-degree assault.

Deputies went to a residence near Mormon Street and Grebe Street for an assault report. Officers met with a person outside the residence that stated he was assaulted by the owner of the place who was later identified as Barrientos.

When police were preparing to make contact with Barrientos, they say he suddenly appeared in the open garage holding a large caliber handgun. Deputies also say Barrientos pointed the gun in the direction of the officers.

Those officers at the time covered positions, drew their guns, and ordered Barrientos to drop his weapon. They say he refused to drop the weapon and went back into the home.

Barrientos then left the home through a back door and broke through a fence. He was met with another deupty who was at the back of the residence and was still holding the gun.

The deputy told him to drop his weapon numerous times and Barrientos refused and went into the backyard. Barrientos came back through the broken fence still holding the gun.

When Barrientos came back, he was met with several Omaha Police officers who made verbal commands to drop the weapon. Officers say he threw his weapon, surrendered, and then was taken into custody without further incident.

Police say the gun was loaded with additional rounds in the magazine.

Mugshot of Philip Barrientos, 33.
Mugshot of Philip Barrientos, 33.(PHOTO: Douglas County Sheriff's Office)

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office says they are thankful a standoff situation in Bennington earlier today didn’t turn out deadly.

The scene was near State Street and Kilpatrick around 3:30 p.m. The sheriff’s office says when deputies arrived a man in a garage had a gun and then pointed it at deputies.

Deputies asked the man to put the gun down and that’s when the man went back inside then left the home through a back door and broke through a fence.

A deputy was outside that fence and told the man to drop his weapon numerous times. They say the man eventually dropped the gun and was taken into custody.

“A very dangerous situation. At any time, the deputies would have been justified using deadly force,” said Chief Deputy Wayne Hudson, Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.

There were no injuries to report and the sheriff’s office says the man faces multiple charges including attempted assault on an officer and terroristic threats.

Copyright 2021 WOWT. All rights reserved.