Headlines From The Sports Machine
Missouri's Pinkel Gets Pay Raise, Contract Extension
- Missouri football coach Gary Pinkel has signed a new contract that boosts his annual salary above $3 million and extends his previous deal by three years.
Huskers Improve Résumé, Earn B1G Road Win at IU
- Nebraska improved its NCAA résumé with a 70-60 victory on the road Wednesday night in Indiana.
Huskers Halt Hoosier Surge
- Walter Pitchford and Shavon Shields each scored 17 points Wednesday, and Nebraska's defense held off Indiana's second-half rally for a 70-60 victory.
Janning Named BIG EAST Player of the Year
- Sophomore Marissa Janning was named the BIG EAST WBB Player of the Year, while seniors McKenzie Fujan and Sarah Nelson earned All-BIG EAST Second Team honors.
NCAA Eyes Rule Change To Slow Hurry Up Offenses For Safety Reasons
- A proposed rule change that would penalize college football offenses for snapping the ball before 10 seconds had run off the 40-second play clock is scheduled to be reviewed one last time by an NCAA committee on Wednesday.
Hochevar Likely Out Until June With Sprained Elbow Ligament
- Kansas City Royals right-hander Luke Hochevar likely will miss at least the first two months of the season because of a sprained ligament in his right elbow.
Georgetown Snuffs Jays Rally for Win
- D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera had 18 points and a career-high 12 rebounds Tuesday night, and Georgetown frustrated Doug McDermott until late in the game, holding off a rally led by the nation's leading scorer in a 75-63 win over No. 13 Creighton.
Butler Defeats Jays 67-59
- The Creighton women's basketball team fell to Butler, 67-59, on Tuesday, March 4 in the Bluejays' regular season finale. Creighton honored its graduating senior class: Mckenzie Fujan, Jordan Garrison, Alyssa Kamphaus, Sarah Nelson, Riley Norman and Carli Tritz.
Bears Trip State
- Brady Heslip scored 18 points, including five 3-pointers in the second half, and Baylor got a much-needed boost to its NCAA tournament hopes with a 74-61 victory over No. 16 Iowa State on Tuesday night.
Bellevue Bruins Win Conference Title
- The 10th-ranked Bellevue University men's basketball team captured its 11th Midlands Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament championship in school history after defeating No. 25 Oklahoma Wesleyan University 87-75 Tuesday night at the Mueller Sports Center.
Hooper Named Big 10 Player of the Year
- Jordan Hooper became the first Nebraska women's basketball player to claim Big Ten Player-of-the-Year honors,when the conference announced its annual awards on Monday.
Big 10 Honors Tatum Edwards
- Tatum Edwards was named the Big Ten Player of the Week on Monday, following an outstanding weekend in Oklahoma. The award is the first of Edwards’ career, although she is a four-time Big Ten Pitcher of the Week honoree.
Nebraska Home Opener Cancelled
- Due to field conditions not suitable for playing in cold temperatures, Nebraska’s baseball game with Kansas State scheduled for tomorrow (March 4), has been cancelled.
Big 10 Baseball Tournament Tickets on Sale
- All-session tickets for the 2014 Big Ten Baseball Tournament at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha will go on sale to the general public at 10 a.m. (CT) on Friday, March 7.
Creighton Falls to #13 in AP Poll
- A disappointing loss over the weekend sent the Creighton Bluejays falling four positions in the weekly Associated Press men’s college basketball poll. They are now ranked 13th in the country.
More Headlines From The Sports Machine