Bo Sees Bright Red Season
Updated: 4:38 AM
The Big 10 Media Days opened in Chicago Monday with Nebraska Head Coach Bo Pelini addressing issues ranging from Husker fans to his pet.
Headlines From The Sports Machine
Clouse Becomes Oldest State Amateur Champion
- 54-year-old David Clouse became the oldest golfer to win the Nebraska Men's Amateur Championship on Thursday.
Clouse shot a final round of 66 at the Norfolk Country Club. The golfer from Friend, Nebraska ended up at 13-under-par.
Local Girl Plays With U-18 Women's National Team
- An Omaha Westside graduate is moving her way up the United States Women's National Team ranks.
Peanut-Free Night At Werner Park July 29th
- The Omaha Storm Chasers will kick off an eight-game homestand next Tuesday with “Peanut-Free Night” in association with the Asthma and Allergy Center, allowing fans affected by various allergies to visit Werner Park worry free for a third straight year.
Northwestern Football Coach's Comments About Husker Fans Go Viral
- One Big Ten football coach is getting attention for what he said about Nebraska football fans in a Chicago Tribune article on Tuesday.
Doug McDermott Signs Contract with Bulls
- The Chicago Bulls say they have signed Doug McDermott, their first-round draft pick and last season's college player of the year. Terms of the deal involving the 6-foot-8 forward from Creighton weren't released.
Creighton's Chatman Has Thumb Surgery
- Rising Creighton men's basketball senior Austin Chatman will undergo surgery today as doctors reattach the radial collateral ligament in his right thumb. Despite the minor setback, Chatman is expected to be back well before the Bluejays open season on Nov. 14th.
NABC Honors Shields
- Nebraska basketball players Shavon Shields and Trevor Menke were recognized for their efforts in the classroom Monday, as both players were named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Honors Court.
Two Jays Honored by NABC
- Two members of the 2013-14 Creighton men's basketball team have been named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches Honors Court. The NABC honored Geoffrey Groselle and Ethan Wragge.
Greater Omaha Golf Championship is Next Month
- The Greater Omaha Golf Championship will be played on August 9th & 10th at the Dodge Riverside Golf Club in Council Bluffs. The entry fee is $120. For more information: Dodge Riverside Golf Club - 712.328.4660 or email@example.com.
Nebraska Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014
- Three former all-conference offensive linemen headlined by All-American and 12-year NFL veteran Russ Hochstein join Nebraska’s all-time leading tackler Barrett Ruud in a group of four Huskers being inducted into the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame.
Smithsonian Baseball Exhibit Coming to St. Paul
- The free sports-themed exhibit, “Hometown Teams” is scheduled to open at the St. Paul Public Library, 1301 Howard Avenue in St. Paul, on Sunday July 13. This traveling exhibit is presented by Humanities Nebraska in partnership with the Smithsonian Institution.
Uplifting Athletes Road Race Set for Sunday
- Runners can now register to be a part of the second Nebraska Football Uplifting Athletes Road Race. The event is set for Sunday, July 20, and includes both a one-mile fun run and a competitive 5K race.
Gregory Named to Lombardi List
- Nebraska defensive end Randy Gregory picked up his fourth watch list recognition Monday morning, as he was named to the Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List.
McDermott Leads Bulls with 31 Points
- Doug McDermott scored 31 points to lead the Chicago Bulls to a 103-76 win over the Denver Nuggets in Las Vegas at the NBA Summer Basketball League. McDermott was 7-12 from the field, 5-9 from 3-point range, and a perfect 12-12 from the free throw line.
Chasers Take Over 1st Place
- Matt Fields had four hits and was a triple shy of hitting for the cycle as Omaha closed the first half of the season with a decisive 7-1 victory over Colorado Springs Sunday afternoon in the last of an abbreviated three-game set.
More Headlines From The Sports Machine