Headlines From The Sports Machine
Two Jays Honored by NABC
- Two members of the 2013-14 Creighton men's basketball team have been named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches Honors Court. The NABC honored Geoffrey Groselle and Ethan Wragge.
Greater Omaha Golf Championship is Next Month
- The Greater Omaha Golf Championship will be played on August 9th & 10th at the Dodge Riverside Golf Club in Council Bluffs. The entry fee is $120. For more information: Dodge Riverside Golf Club - 712.328.4660 or email@example.com.
Storm Chasers Reign Over New Orleans 9-2
- Omaha shortstop Pedro Ciriaco drove in five runs on three hits, including a home run, as the Storm Chasers routed New Orleans 9-2.
More Accolades For Abdullah, Gregory
- Husker senior I-back Ameer Abdullah and junior defensive end Randy Gregory continued an impressive collection of preseason accolades on Friday as both were named to watch list for the Walter Camp Player of the Year.
Gretna U-18 Soccer Team Heads to Nationals
- For just the third time in history, a team from Nebraska is heading to a US Youth Soccer National Championship.
Oklahoma Big 12 Preseason Favorite, Iowa State Picked Ninth
- Oklahoma is the overwhelming favorite to win the Big 12 title in a preseason media poll released Thursday.
Iowa-Iowa State Set For 2:30 P.M. Kickoff
- Iowa's home game against rival Iowa State will kick off at 2:30 p.m. on September 13th.
NCAA Backs Mental Health Program For Student-Athletes
- The University of Michigan has received a grant from the NCAA to develop and evaluate a program for supporting mental health initiatives for student-athletes.
Nebraska Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014
- Three former all-conference offensive linemen headlined by All-American and 12-year NFL veteran Russ Hochstein join Nebraska’s all-time leading tackler Barrett Ruud in a group of four Huskers being inducted into the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame.
Smithsonian Baseball Exhibit Coming to St. Paul
- The free sports-themed exhibit, “Hometown Teams” is scheduled to open at the St. Paul Public Library, 1301 Howard Avenue in St. Paul, on Sunday July 13. This traveling exhibit is presented by Humanities Nebraska in partnership with the Smithsonian Institution.
Uplifting Athletes Road Race Set for Sunday
- Runners can now register to be a part of the second Nebraska Football Uplifting Athletes Road Race. The event is set for Sunday, July 20, and includes both a one-mile fun run and a competitive 5K race.
Gregory Named to Lombardi List
- Nebraska defensive end Randy Gregory picked up his fourth watch list recognition Monday morning, as he was named to the Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List.
McDermott Leads Bulls with 31 Points
- Doug McDermott scored 31 points to lead the Chicago Bulls to a 103-76 win over the Denver Nuggets in Las Vegas at the NBA Summer Basketball League. McDermott was 7-12 from the field, 5-9 from 3-point range, and a perfect 12-12 from the free throw line.
Chasers Take Over 1st Place
- Matt Fields had four hits and was a triple shy of hitting for the cycle as Omaha closed the first half of the season with a decisive 7-1 victory over Colorado Springs Sunday afternoon in the last of an abbreviated three-game set.
Royals Rally to Beat Tigers 5-2
- Eric Hosmer's RBI double capped a five-run seventh inning and Kansas City avoided a four-game sweep on Sunday with a 5-2 victory over the Detroit Tigers.Four of the runs were charged to Justin Verlander (8-8), who started the inning.
More Headlines From The Sports Machine