Nebraska's head football coach, Bo Pelini, offered an apology at his Monday news conference for his sideline behavior in Saturday's loss to Texas A&M.
Pelini told reporters that he sees his job as being one where he tries to do the absolute best for his players, that he "has their back." But as he apologized for his behavior, Pelini admitted that there's a right way and a wrong way to go about that.
He said Saturday's sideline outbursts were not the way to go about it.
In a lengthy session with reporters Pelini refused to discuss the nature of a sideline incident involving quarterback Taylor Martinez. Pelini said at one point it "stays in the family." The head coach did say that he and Martinez talked for about 15 or 20 minutes Saturday night after the game.
Pelini indicated that he had also spoken with Taylor's father.
The Husker Head Coach also told reporters that he had spoken with UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman and with Athletic Director Tom Osborne. Perlman had been quoted on Sunday as saying that Pelini's behavior did not reflect well on the University of Nebraska or the football program.
Pelini was asked if Martinez would be the starting quarterback if he is healthy on Friday. Pelini said he will be the starter.
As he did at his post game news conference Saturday night, Pelini would not comment directly on the officiating in the Texas A&M game. By the time the contest ended the Huskers had been flagged 16 times for a total of 140 yards -- both records.
Designed by Gray Digital Media