NABC Honors Shields
Nebraska basketball players Shavon Shields and Trevor Menke were recognized for their efforts in the classroom Monday, as both players were named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Honors Court.
Headlines From The Sports Machine
Oklahoma Big 12 Preseason Favorite, Iowa State Picked Ninth
- Oklahoma is the overwhelming favorite to win the Big 12 title in a preseason media poll released Thursday.
Doug McDermott Wins ESPY as Best Male College Athlete
- Doug McDermott wins the ESPY award for Best Male College Athlete.
Kickoff Times Announced for Huskers First Two Games
- The Big Ten Conference and its television partners announced kickoff times for games in the opening weeks of the 2014 season, including the Huskers’ first two home games, Wednesday afternoon.
Husker Fan Day Set For August 1st
- Husker fans will have their first chance to see the 2014 Nebraska football team during the annual Fan Day festivities at Memorial Stadium on Friday, August 1st.
Iowa-Iowa State Set For 2:30 P.M. Kickoff
- Iowa's home game against rival Iowa State will kick off at 2:30 p.m. on September 13th.
NCAA Backs Mental Health Program For Student-Athletes
- The University of Michigan has received a grant from the NCAA to develop and evaluate a program for supporting mental health initiatives for student-athletes.
Omaha All-Star Dealt, Coleman Sent Down
- The Kansas City Royals announced Wednesday they have acquired veteran right-handed pitcher Jason Frasor from the Texas Rangers in exchange for minor league right-handed pitcher Spencer Patton.
Three Storm Chasers, Four Cubs In Triple-A All-Star Game
- Three Omaha Storm Chasers and four members of the Iowa Cubs are in Durham, North Carolina for Wednesday night's Triple-A All-Star Game.
Bell Named to Biletnikoff Watch List
- Nebraska senior receiver Kenny Bell was named to the watch list for the 2014 Biletnikoff Award on Tuesday.
Nebraska Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014
- Three former all-conference offensive linemen headlined by All-American and 12-year NFL veteran Russ Hochstein join Nebraska’s all-time leading tackler Barrett Ruud in a group of four Huskers being inducted into the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame.
Smithsonian Baseball Exhibit Coming to St. Paul
- The free sports-themed exhibit, “Hometown Teams” is scheduled to open at the St. Paul Public Library, 1301 Howard Avenue in St. Paul, on Sunday July 13. This traveling exhibit is presented by Humanities Nebraska in partnership with the Smithsonian Institution.
Uplifting Athletes Road Race Set for Sunday
- Runners can now register to be a part of the second Nebraska Football Uplifting Athletes Road Race. The event is set for Sunday, July 20, and includes both a one-mile fun run and a competitive 5K race.
Gregory Named to Lombardi List
- Nebraska defensive end Randy Gregory picked up his fourth watch list recognition Monday morning, as he was named to the Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List.
McDermott Leads Bulls with 31 Points
- Doug McDermott scored 31 points to lead the Chicago Bulls to a 103-76 win over the Denver Nuggets in Las Vegas at the NBA Summer Basketball League. McDermott was 7-12 from the field, 5-9 from 3-point range, and a perfect 12-12 from the free throw line.
Chasers Take Over 1st Place
- Matt Fields had four hits and was a triple shy of hitting for the cycle as Omaha closed the first half of the season with a decisive 7-1 victory over Colorado Springs Sunday afternoon in the last of an abbreviated three-game set.
More Headlines From The Sports Machine