Chasers Claim Opener Over Zephyrs
Updated: 10:13 AM
Jason Adam and Tim Collins combined for five hitless, scoreless innings in relief as Omaha outlasted New Orleans, 4-3, Friday night.
Headlines From The Sports Machine
Doug McDermott Signs Contract with Bulls
- The Chicago Bulls say they have signed Doug McDermott, their first-round draft pick and last season's college player of the year. Terms of the deal involving the 6-foot-8 forward from Creighton weren't released.
Creighton's Chatman Has Thumb Surgery
- Rising Creighton men's basketball senior Austin Chatman will undergo surgery today as doctors reattach the radial collateral ligament in his right thumb. Despite the minor setback, Chatman is expected to be back well before the Bluejays open season on Nov. 14th.
NABC Honors Shields
- Nebraska basketball players Shavon Shields and Trevor Menke were recognized for their efforts in the classroom Monday, as both players were named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Honors Court.
Two Jays Honored by NABC
- Two members of the 2013-14 Creighton men's basketball team have been named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches Honors Court. The NABC honored Geoffrey Groselle and Ethan Wragge.
Greater Omaha Golf Championship is Next Month
- The Greater Omaha Golf Championship will be played on August 9th & 10th at the Dodge Riverside Golf Club in Council Bluffs. The entry fee is $120. For more information: Dodge Riverside Golf Club - 712.328.4660 or email@example.com.
Storm Chasers Reign Over New Orleans 9-2
- Omaha shortstop Pedro Ciriaco drove in five runs on three hits, including a home run, as the Storm Chasers routed New Orleans 9-2.
Nebraska Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014
- Three former all-conference offensive linemen headlined by All-American and 12-year NFL veteran Russ Hochstein join Nebraska’s all-time leading tackler Barrett Ruud in a group of four Huskers being inducted into the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame.
Smithsonian Baseball Exhibit Coming to St. Paul
- The free sports-themed exhibit, “Hometown Teams” is scheduled to open at the St. Paul Public Library, 1301 Howard Avenue in St. Paul, on Sunday July 13. This traveling exhibit is presented by Humanities Nebraska in partnership with the Smithsonian Institution.
Uplifting Athletes Road Race Set for Sunday
- Runners can now register to be a part of the second Nebraska Football Uplifting Athletes Road Race. The event is set for Sunday, July 20, and includes both a one-mile fun run and a competitive 5K race.
Gregory Named to Lombardi List
- Nebraska defensive end Randy Gregory picked up his fourth watch list recognition Monday morning, as he was named to the Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List.
McDermott Leads Bulls with 31 Points
- Doug McDermott scored 31 points to lead the Chicago Bulls to a 103-76 win over the Denver Nuggets in Las Vegas at the NBA Summer Basketball League. McDermott was 7-12 from the field, 5-9 from 3-point range, and a perfect 12-12 from the free throw line.
Chasers Take Over 1st Place
- Matt Fields had four hits and was a triple shy of hitting for the cycle as Omaha closed the first half of the season with a decisive 7-1 victory over Colorado Springs Sunday afternoon in the last of an abbreviated three-game set.
Royals Rally to Beat Tigers 5-2
- Eric Hosmer's RBI double capped a five-run seventh inning and Kansas City avoided a four-game sweep on Sunday with a 5-2 victory over the Detroit Tigers.Four of the runs were charged to Justin Verlander (8-8), who started the inning.
Germany Wins World Cup
- Mario Goetze volleyed in the winning goal in extra time to give Germany its fourth World Cup title with a 1-0 victory over Argentina on Sunday.Goetze controlled the ball with his chest and then shot past Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero in the 113th minute.
Lemek Wins Nebraska Match Play Title
- Danielle Lemek of Doniphan, squared off against Julie Seevers of Omaha in the 2014 Match Play Championship at Oak Hills Country Club. On 17, Lemek chipped in for birdie, her only birdie and she earned her first Women's Match Play Championship,
More Headlines From The Sports Machine