Headlines From The Sports Machine
Huskers Head into Showdown with Miami
- The Nebraska football team continued its preparations for their Saturday night showdown with the Miami Hurricanes on Thursday afternoon, as the Huskers conducted a 50-minute walk-thru inside of the Hawks Championship Center.
Hooper Returns Home To Have Number Retired
- Former Husker and current Tulsa Shock forward Jordan Hooper returned to her hometown of Alliance Thursday to have her high school jersey number retired.
Huskers Rally for 3-1 Win Against Creighton
- The No. 9 Nebraska volleyball team rallied from a slow start to defeat the Creighton Bluejays 3-1 in the first meeting between the teams since 2011 before 8,060 fans at the Bob Devaney Sports Center on Wednesday night.
Storm Chasers Win Triple-A Championship
- The Omaha Storm Chasers defeated the Pawtucket Red Sox 4-2 Tuesday night in Charlotte to capture their second straight Triple-A National Championship and third Triple-A Championship overall.
Huskers Prepare for Miami
- Defensive coordinator John Papuchis met with media members after practice, showing a great deal of respect to the athletic Hurricanes.
“They have a lot of weapons at every skilled position, they have guys that can take it to the house every time they touch the ball.”
Big 10 Honors Husker Freshman
- For the second straight week, a Husker earned the Big Ten’s top special teams’ accolade, as freshman De’Mornay Pierson-El was named Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week Monday morning.
Aces Tie Up PCL Championship Series With Storm Chasers
- The Omaha Storm Chasers head back to Werner Park this Friday with the series tied at 1 game apiece in the Pacific Coast League Championship.
Huskers Prepare For Fresno State
- The Nebraska football team continued its preparations for the third game of the season with a 90-minute practice Tuesday afternoon at the Hawks Championship Center. The Huskers will travel to Fresno State this Saturday for the first away game of the season.
Creighton Announces Big East Schedule
- The Creighton Bluejays will play each league school twice, beginning with a Dec. 31 road game at Providence and closing with a March 7 home game vs. Xavier.
Omaha Mammoths Set Schedule
- The FXFL, a new developmental league for professional football players, today released the full schedule for the 2014 regular season. The inaugural season of the FXFL, which features a six-week regular season format, will kick off on Wednesday, October 8th.
Coach Pelini Takes Blame for Close Win
- Bo Pelini's weekly news conference sounded more like a mea culpa.
The Nebraska coach spent all but a couple of his 28 minutes in front of the reporters Monday listing his team's deficiencies in its 31-24 win over McNeese State.
Abdullah Earns Paul Hornung Award
- Husker I-back Ameer Abdullah was one of four players around the nation named to the Paul Hornung Award Honor Roll exemplifying their versatility on the field.
Foltz Named Big 10 Special team Player of the Week
- Nebraska punter Sam Foltz was honored for his performance against McNeese State on Saturday, as he was named Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week. It is the first time the Grand Island native has received the Big Ten honor, and marks the second straight week a Husker has received a Big Ten weekly award.
NCAA Lifts Postseason Ban on Penn State
- The NCAA has lifted the on-the-field sanctions placed on the Penn State football team for the Jerry Sandusky scandal, including immediately eliminating the postseason ban and restoring scholarships.
Creighton Defeats Cincinnati 3-0
- With sophomore Fabian Herbers and junior Timo Pitter at the helm, the Creighton men's soccer breezed past Cincinnati 3-0 on Sunday, Sept. 7.
More Headlines From The Sports Machine