A boy and his grandmother died in a Bellevue fire early Saturday morning.
When firefighters arrived at the Green Acres Trailer Park near 29th Avenue and Hancock around 3 a.m. they found flames shooting from the mobile home. The family told Channel 6 News an 8-year-old and his grandmother were found in the living room. Their names have not been released pending positive identification.
The boy's father, 3-year-old sister and 15-year-old brother escaped the blaze. A neighbor who didn't want to be identified told Channel 6 News she saw the 15-year-old go back to the house and knock out the windows. The neighbor believes the teen helped save the lives of his father and little sister.
"When I first came out I could see the house was on fire, right in the middle, flames shooting out, fire department going in and chopping the door, just something I wish I didn't have to see." Scott Struz never wanted to take for granted the community bond he shared with those who lived near him. “The metal tin right there on the roof, just about five to 10 feet flames, shooting up, a lot of smoke. It hits home, especially my daughter is the same age as theirs and the little boy is a little bit older than my daughter. Just seeing them in the morning saying hi to me is now, it's pretty rough."
The fire marshal is investigating and has not yet said what started the fire. The family said detectives think the cause may have been a space heater. The family said the grandmother was sick and slept in a chair near the space heater in the living room.
Struz will not soon forget the scene that played out. “One thing that was very emotional was seeing the fire department pray after.” He hopes this tight-knit community will come through once again and support the family in their time of need. “They need it, God bless them."