A homeowner was treated to an early, unwanted Christmas present on the eve of the holiday when investigators say the person attempted to put out a grease fire with water.
The call for the fire came in just before 4:15 p.m. Monday. When crews arrived they found flames in a two-story single family house. Investigators say the house was divided into three living areas: basement, main floor and upstairs. The fire started in the main floor kitchen.
The flames spread from the stove to newspaper insulation that was exposed in the ceiling above, through a large opening used to service upstairs plumbing, according to fire investigators. Two people who were home at the time tried to fight the ceiling fire with water, however the flames grew too large and they were forced to call 911.
In all, three people were displaced because of the accidental fire. The two that were home at the time were uninjured. Reports say the house sustained heavy fire damage to the second-floor bathroom and the structural area between the first and second floors, with severe water damage to the first floor and basement.