The City of Council Bluffs, in partnership with the Iowa West Foundation, and more than 20 event sponsors announced the full line-up of events for Loessfest 2014 (pronounced “Luss-fest”).
Loessfest is an annual celebration of our landscape and our community. Loessfest 2014 follows a successful 2013 inaugural event, where an estimated 30,000 individuals attended the Loessfest events, including the grand opening Beach Boys Concert. Loessfest is funded in part by a generous grant of $250,000 from the Iowa West Foundation.
All Loessfest events will be at Tom Hanafan River’s Edge Park – a spectacular, award winning 85-acre preserve and recreational area located on the Iowa side of the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge that stretches north and south along the riverfront. The City of Council Bluffs’ park features a five-acre Great Lawn, which serves as the backdrop to the Loessfest events. Loessfest events begin May 25 and continue through June 8, and include:
• Sunday, May 25: THREE TIMES THE FUN CONCERT FEATURING THREE DOG NIGHT, THE GUESS WHO AND LOVERBOY Loessfest 2014 will kick off on Sunday, May 25, 2014, with a free concert beginning at 6:30 p.m. featuring Three Dog Night, The Guess Who and Loverboy.
• Monday, May 26: FIREWORKS FOR FREEDOM AND THE OMAHA SYMPHONY Back by popular demand on May 26, the Omaha Symphony will present a Memorial Day concert honoring veterans with a medley of the U.S. Armed Forces songs. The concert, beginning at 8 p.m., features John Williams’s Hymn to the Fallen as well as patriotic favorites like America the Beautiful, Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture and The Stars and Stripes Forever. A gigantic fireworks show by J & M Displays will follow the performance that will be seen for miles on either side of the Missouri River.
• Wednesday, May 28: MOVIE AT THE PARK — ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW Tom Hanafan River’s Edge Park will be transformed into an outdoor movie landmark with the backdrop of the metro skyline. You have not experienced “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” until you have joined the phenomenon at Loessfest. The movie begins at 9 p.m. on a giant screen. Participation, props and costumes all encouraged!
• Saturday, May 31: XTREME OBSTACLE CHALLENGE Tom Hanafan River’s Edge Park will be the place “Where Tough is Fun” when the Xtreme Obstacle Challenge comes to the metro area. The three-mile course features more than 25 obstacles with outlandish challenges that are tough but fun! Participants can register at XtremeObstacleChallenge.comhttp://xtremeobstaclechallenge.com — registration fee required. Friends and spectators are welcome to watch at no charge.
• Sunday, June 1: BIKE THE BLUFFS There is no better way to enjoy the landscape than on a bicycle with hundreds of your closest friends. Beginning at the river in Tom Hanafan River’s Edge Park, the bicycle ride will venture through the beautiful trails and through Downtown Council Bluffs and back.
• Sunday, June 1: GOLFFEST This unique event will offer prizes galore as golfers will play both Dodge Riverside Golf Course and Westwood Golf Course — registration fee required, call 712-328-4660 — includes lunch and a steak dinner. The highlight of the event will be a unique final hole, set-up in Tom Hanafan River’s Edge Park. Spectators are welcome to watch the fun.
• Wednesday, June 4: MOVIE IN THE PARK — DESPICABLE ME 2 The whole family will enjoy “Despicable Me 2” on the largest outdoor screen around. Other family activities are planned prior to the movie – which starts at 9 p.m.
• Saturday, June 7: SEMI-PRO FOOTBALL KICKS IT AT THE RIVER A free Central Plains Football League (CPFL) game will take place on the banks of the Missouri River featuring western Iowa’s own Mills County Militia as they battle Joplin, Missouri’s Four State Fusion.
• Sunday, June 8: DISNEY DAY AT THE PARK Loessfest is proud to present the high energy epic concert, The Official Stand Up Tour, a positive, fun and engaging show with a strong message for anti-bullying awareness. The fun begins at 5 p.m. with performers including IM5, Robbie Rosen (American Idol), Jessie Chris (country), The House on Cliff (classic rock) and Danielle Prou (indie rock). Children will also be able to spin the “Loessfest Disney Day” prize wheel for a chance to win free tickets and prizes to Disney’s new movie Maleficent, while supplies last. Disney Day will end with a showing of Disney Pixar’s Monsters University.
• EVERY NIGHT: RAYS INTERACTIVE LIGHT ENVIRONMENT Tom Hanafan River’s Edge Park features a “one-of-its-kind” interactive light display – Rays by artist Dan Corson – part of the Iowa West Public Art collection. Experience Rays at the Great Lawn – on nights during Loessfest without other events. Rays is a permanent exhibit at the Park.
Parking is available on both sides of the river for all Loessfest events, including the parking lot just north of Harrah’s Casino and on the parking lot just east of the Great Lawn, accessible from S. 40th Street. All events are free and open to the public. To avoid traffic delays and to reserve your spot on the Great Lawn in the park, please arrive early for the concert and all Loessfest events.
For more information, please visit Loessfest.com.