More than 6,200 pounds of prescription drugs were collected last week across Nebraska during the Nationwide Prescription Drug Take-Back Day
The event was held Sept. 29. The unused medication was collected from take-back sites across the state, including 605 lbs. from five sites coordinated by the Attorney General’s Office, the Nebraska State Patrol, and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
“These events provide an opportunity for state and federal partners to work together for the safety of our citizens,” said Colonel David Sankey, Superintendent of the Nebraska State patrol. “We continue to see a good response and we thank the public for helping us keep these unwanted medications out of the wrong hands.”
At four take-back events since May 2011, the Attorney General’s Office and the NSP have collected a total of 2,988 lbs. of unwanted drugs in coordination with the DEA. Statewide, a total of nearly 21,000 lbs. have been collected at sites during the national events.
“Prescription drug abuse is an increasing problem in Nebraska and throughout the nation,” said Attorney General Jon Bruning. “Engaging Nebraskans to be an active part of the solution is the best way to create community awareness. I’m proud to partner with the Nebraska State Patrol in this effort.”
Since 2000, more than half of the nation’s poisoning death victims between the ages of 15 to 19-years-old overdosed on prescription drugs according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It is estimated that every day more than 2,500 teenagers use prescription drugs to get high for the first time, suggesting prescription drugs are replacing marijuana as gateway drugs.