Just two days after moving in, renters are forced to relocate after unidentified smell fills home.
Just after 9:00 p.m. Monday, Lincoln Fire & Rescue was dispatched to a residence near 11th and A Streets for an unusual odor.
According to LFR Captain Jim Bopp, earlier in the day the tenants called Black Hills Energy to investigate the smell believing it might be natural gas.
Black Hills Energy could not find any gas leak but agreed the odor was intense.
Bopp said air monitoring equipment recognized the odor as being present and confirmed it was not flammable but the equipment could not identify what it was.
A search of the house did not reveal the source of the smell either.
According to Bopp, after about an hour, two of the residents said they were feeling ill.
The residents were taken to the hospital to be evaluated.
Bopp said the home was red tagged so no one could enter the home until the Health Department and Building and Safety are able to get in and assess the situation and try to find the cause of the smell.
That assessment should take place sometime Tuesday.
The residents were relocated with the help of the American Red Cross.