Update: Fire Linked to Space Heater

Investigators say a space heater was responsible for a fire that took an Omaha family's home Wednesday afternoon. One person was injured.

Authorities say the fire began in the basement of the home at 36th and Drexel. The space heater came in contact with combustible material.

Three adults were home at the time. They escaped, alerted by the smell of smoke.

The fire that began in the basement spread to the main floor causing significant damage. Several windows and doors were blown out.

The American Red Cross arrived to help with the next steps to recovery.

Red Cross spokesperson Liz Dorland said, "We're going to provide them those basic needs that they might have: food,\; clothing; comfort and care. That's what we're always going to provide everybody, no matter what.”

The fire began over the noon hour.

Authorities estimate the damage to the home at $50,000 with an additional loss of $30,000 worth of property inside.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 235484931 - wowt.com/a?a=235484931
Gray Television, Inc.