Dozens of children were evacuated from a Lincoln day care Thursday afternoon when staff smelled what they believed to be gas.
Cribs with the youngest children lined the sidewalk outside of the Young Voices Child Development Center near North 84th and O streets around 1 p.m.
Lincoln Fire and Rescue took readings and determined it was not gas, but Volatile Organic Compounds or VOCs, which are organic chemicals that have a high vapor pressure at room-temperature conditions. The high vapor pressure can cause a large number of molecules to evaporate and enter the surrounding air.
The building was aired out and children and staff were able to return by 2:30 p.m.