Scare At Day Care Prompts Evacuation

By: WOWT Email
By: WOWT Email

Dozens of children were evacuated from a Lincoln day care Thursday afternoon when staff smelled what they believed to be gas.

Cribs with the youngest children lined the sidewalk outside of the Young Voices Child Development Center near North 84th and O streets around 1 p.m.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue took readings and determined it was not gas, but Volatile Organic Compounds or VOCs, which are organic chemicals that have a high vapor pressure at room-temperature conditions. The high vapor pressure can cause a large number of molecules to evaporate and enter the surrounding air.

The building was aired out and children and staff were able to return by 2:30 p.m.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 219914681 - wowt.com/a?a=219914681