Update on the propane leak report at the Conestoga Jr.-Sr. High School. The call was received at the Cass County 911 dispatch center at 11am Friday morning -- The school was evacuated to the Cougar Den building.
The Cassgram reports the Murray Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department was the command agency and requested help from Plattsmouth Fire, Plattsmouth EMS, Nehawka Fire, Weeping Water Fire, Bellevue Fire, Bellevue EMS, Papillion Fire and the Offutt Air Force Base hazmat team. The Cass County Emergency Management Agency and State Fire Marshal’s Office also had personnel on the scene.
Murray fire department and school officials said maintenance crews had worked on equipment outside the building Thursday and Friday morning. Todd Remmers of the Murray fire department said that due to the propane lines being opened up, moisture mixed with the propane gas and the oil that is naturally in propane when it is pumped. There was a small hydrogen sulfide leak inside the building along with propane.
There were no injuries during the incident but one asthmatic individual was attended to.
Just before noon, school officials coordinated with fire/EMA officials in arranging the busing of the students. The Plattsmouth, Weeping Water and Louisville school districts were all contacted for assistance in supplying buses because the Conestoga buses near the propane lines were not movable. The students walked down to the buses off the school grounds on 42nd Street. Parents were directed to pick up the Jr. Sr. high school students at Conestoga Elementary School in Murray after they were bused there.
Conestoga Superintendent Beth Johnsen said the evacuation of the 350 or so students was orderly and said school officials acted swiftly because the safety of students always comes first.
School will resume as it normally does on Tuesday.