A man will spend the rest of his life in prison for the sexual abuse of children.
Daniel Mangiameli was sentenced to 195 to 310 years in prison in a Douglas County Courtroom Monday.
Mangiameli had pleaded no contest to eight charges, including first degree sexual assault of a child. He’s accused of having more than 30 sexual encounters with children over the course of 30 years.
Channel Six’s Brittany Gunter was in the courtroom. At the hearing Mangiameli read aloud a statement saying, “I was born with this sexual infliction. I did not want to be this way.” He also said, “I turned myself away from God. I fell from grace.” “I’m painfully sorry for what I’ve done.”
Mangiameli read aloud many of the victims names. Judge Thomas Otepka later responded to Mangiameli saying that was “chilling and disturbing.” The judge said Mangiameli told a probation officer at one point that he made a pact with the devil, that he could then have as many boys as he wanted. The judge said Mangiameli now has a pact with the justice system.
In a jailhouse interview, the convicted molester told Channel Six he did have sexual relationships with multiple boys. Mangiameli claimed it was all mutual, and that he didn't know it was against the law.
Daniel Mangiameli pleaded no contest to eight charges, including first degree sexual assault of a child. He now faces life in prison and up to $45,000 in fines when he is sentenced January 14th. The County Attorney's Office dropped seven charges as part of the deal.
Deputy County Attorney Brenda Beadle said in court, she estimated between the five boys Mangiameli pleaded no contest to assaulting, Mangiameli committed nearly 100 sexual acts on them.
In court Tuesday, WOWT learned that 31 boys were documented in over 1000 pictures, of which nearly 650 were consider lude. Prosecutors also said 46, 8 MM videotapes containing pornographic video of the boys were found. The materials were confiscated from the storage locker in Atlantic, IA at least 25 of the boys have been positively identified.
At the times of the sexual contact, the boys ranged in age from 9 to 15. The pictures and tapes cover a span from 1981 to 2011. The victims are now anywhere from 31 to 37 years old.
Mangiameli is scheduled to be sentenced January 14th.
Daniel Mangiameli was expected to plead no contest to human trafficking of a minor for sexual activity, three counts of sexual assault on a child and visual depiction of sexual explicit conduct of a child. During the hearing in Judge Otepka's court, Mangiameli argued with his attorney and refused to enter a plea.
Earlier this year, Channel 6 News interviewed Mangiameli in jail. In that interview, he admitted to having relationships with at least 20 boys over a period of three decades. The 62-year-old said he had "sensual relationships" with the boys. He thought he wasn't doing anything wrong, but society interprets his actions as criminal.
"The cherishing was there, the love was there, the care was there, but was it something that was wrong against our rules in society today, yes. How I felt in my heart I didn't feel that," Mangiameli explained.
Mangiameli is accused of sexually assaulting two boys who were 12 years old when the incidents occurred. They happened from 2008 until 2012.