Many people think they can't get sick from pets, but new studies show humans can contract dangerous infections from pet food. Feeding a pet in the kitchen is all it takes to put someone at risk.
In the last two months, the FDA has reported dozens of pet food recalls. Most were due to possible salmonella contamination.
Since October 2011, a total of 15 people have been affected by salmonella linked to dog food, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Five were hospitalized. In most cases, people reported handling dog food before preparing food for the family.
"There was a recent study that came out that found that people who fed their dogs or cats in their kitchen were four times more likely to contract a bacterial infection from their food," says veterinarian Ashley Hughes.
The first line of defense is simple: Don't feed pets in the kitchen. Use specific utensils for pet food. People also should wash hands before preparing any food.