Papillion Days in Papillion, NE has been named one of the Top 10 Summer Festivals 2013 by Livability.com, a national website that ranks quality of life and travel amenities of America’s small and mid-sized cities.
For the 2013 list, Livability.com editors looked for those summer festivals most connected to their host cities' identities in terms of theme, the experiences to be had and community participation.
Editors also factored in a city’s other tourist attractions and amenities that can enhance the itineraries of festival-goers.
“The best summer festivals, neighborhood celebrations and even block parties bring communities together and showcase the characteristics that make their cities unique,” said Matt Carmichael, Livability.com Editor and Spokesman. “Festivals are a great time to unite residents and show off for visitors.”
Papillion Days, which attracts more than 50,000 festival-goers each year, was chosen for its five days of food, friendly competition and homegrown fun that showcase all that’s great about this Nebraska community.
Many of the town’s non-profit and civic organizations sponsor events that include a tractor pull, a barbecue cook-off, a parade (the largest in the state) and multiple live music performances. Best of all, admission to most events is free.
Top 10 Summer Festivals 2013
1. Cheyenne Frontier Days - Cheyenne, WY
2. Portland Rose Festival - Portland, OR
3. Virginia Highlands Festival - Abingdon, VA
4. AthFest Music & Arts Festival - Athens, GA
5. Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts - State College, PA
6. CMA Music Festival - Nashville, TN
7. Mudbug Madness Festival - Shreveport, LA
8. Strolling of the Heifers - Brattleboro, VT
9. Papillion Days - Papillion, NE
10. Sweet Pea Festival - Bozeman, MT