A man was cited Wednesday afternoon by Nebraska Humane Society animal control officers for leaving his dogs inside a car with the windows closed. One of the dogs died.
Officers were called to the parking lot of the Family Dollar Store at 44th and Dodge where a 5-year-old pit bull was dead inside the vehicle. A boxer puppy also in the car was alive. Their 23-year-old owner had parked directly in the sun, left the windows up and provided no ventilation for the dogs.
The outside temperature at the time was above 90 degrees and the temperature inside the car was 130 degrees. The pets had been left alone for about 35 minutes.
Omaha City Ordinance 6-72(4) states it is illegal to leave an animal in a vehicle for periods of time that may endanger the health or well-being of the animal.
The puppy was released back to him.
The Nebraska Humane Society reminds pet owners animals can die quickly if left unattended in a hot vehicle. The rule of thumb should be that if it’s too hot for you to sit in a vehicle, it’s also too hot for your pet. If possible, park in a shaded area out of the sun and leave the windows slightly open for proper ventilation.