The number of kids who end up in the emergency room because they swallowed button batteries has doubled over the past 20 years according to a new study by researchers at Nationwide Children's Hospital.
They found 66.000 children went to the emergency room because they swallowed a battery, or they placed it in their mouth, ear or nose.
Button batteries are especially dangerous because they are small and shiny, and appealing to children.
Batteries that are swallowed can cause major internal damage within hours.
Experts say caregivers should make sure the battery compartments of all major electronics are taped, and that batteries are stored safely out of the reach of children.