The Nebraska Humane Society has released its 2012 numbers concerning citations to pet owners and dangerous dog declarations.
Restraint – Dog (tethering): 24 citations have been issued due to dogs being tethered outside for longer than 15 minutes. There was not an adult 19 years of age or older present during the fifteen minutes that the dog was tethered.
Proof of Insurance for Dangerous Animals, Potentially Dangerous Animals and Pit bulls: 35 citations have been issued due to Pit Bull owners not being able to provide proof of insurance for their Pit Bulls.
· 23 Reckless Owner Declarations have been issued.
· 11 Appeals have been heard: 7 granted and 4 denied.
Determination of Potentially Dangerous Dogs:
· 97 Potentially Dangerous Dog Declarations have been issued through Dec 31st..
· 51 Total Active Potentially Dangerous Dogs in Omaha.
· 32 Potentially Dangerous Dogs have been released this quarter from restrictions due to meeting the 2 year time frame of no violations.
· 32 appeals have been heard this quarter; 14 granted, 18 were denied.
· 24 current Breed Ambassadors for 2012.
Pit Bull Leash/ Muzzle/ Harness Required: 74 citations have been issued due to Pit Bulls not wearing a harness, muzzle, and/or a leash being too long.