Murder Trial Testimony Continues

Testimony continued Thursday in the murder trial of a father who allegedly shot and killed his daughter's ex-boyfriend. Forty-one-year-old Sidney Andersen is accused of shooting 25-year-old Randall Grimm in the Hy-Vee parking lot near 78th and Cass on February 28th of last year.

Andersen claims the shooting was justified. Grimm and Andersen's daughter shared a bank account. She was employed and he was unemployed. They broke up and she closed their account. Andersen claims Grimm threatened him and his family and demanded his money.

Police say when they arrived on location, Andersen had turned himself in to a security guard at the store. Andersen's attorney, Tom Riley, wondered why it took two weeks for Omaha Police Detective Dave Schneider to write his report after interviewing Andersen the night of the shooting.

Riley also questioned the tactics used during the investigation concerning lying and "icing" the suspect, by leaving him in a room for a long period of time.

When asked if he was "Icing" Andersen, Schneider said he "doesn't use that technique" and that Andersen "wasn't ready to be interviewed" because there weren't enough detectives on duty at that time. "Nobody was available," Schneider said.

At one point, Riley said Andersen told Schneider, "People are going to kill me and my family and I want to make sure they are okay." Riley asked Schneider if he knew about any threatening text messages or phone calls Andersen may have received from Grimm or "his associates."

Schneider said he never searched Andersen's phone to verify any possible threats. Schneider said the police department has investigators specifically trained for that purpose and that the cellphone was booked in to evidence.

Sarpy County Deputy Jessica (Prater) Overton then took the stand. She was called to Andersen's house around 7:15 the night of the shooting. Andersen reported receiving threatening text messages and phone calls from Grimm and that he demanded money from Andersen's daughter, his former girlfriend.

Overton said Andersen looked "tense, agitated and nervous" while he explained he was told to deliver some money to Grimm at the Hy-Vee at 78th and Cass at 8 p.m.

Overton testified that Andersen showed her several text messages and a picture of Andersen's three young boys. Overton said OPD was contacted and was looking for Grimm near the Cass Street store and would detain him.

Andersen's daughter gave the deputy a description of Grimm and his car. At one point, Overton said Andersen received a phone call. She and another deputy told him not to answer. Andersen did and moved away from the deputies so they couldn't hear the conversation.

Andersen then said he just talked with Grimm and put off the meeting until 8:30 p.m. Overton said deputies told Andersen not to meet with Grimm and to let law enforcement take care of it. Overton told Grimm deputies would "be in the area" and watching for Grimm should he try to come to Andersen's home.

Just before 10 p.m. that night, Overton said she was told of an "incident" at the store at 78th and Cass.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 141061483 -
Gray Television, Inc.