A space heater is being blamed for starting a fire that forced a mother and son to flee from their Omaha home Friday afternoon.
The woman told Channel 6 News her 3-year-old was in his bedroom, being warmed by a space heater, watching television when a blanket near him caught fire around 3:15 p.m. He went to tell his mother that it was hot in his room and that’s when she discovered the fire, which she tried to extinguish herself. After realizing she needed help, she called 911.
They were in the process of moving. Firefighters said the toughest part of the blaze was getting to it. The family had a number of items boxed and piled up inside the home near 30th and Seward.
The boy was checked for smoke inhalation and was okay. He and his mom will need a place to stay for the time being due to smoke damage throughout the house. The Red Cross was called to assist the family.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.