Update: Mother, Son Escape Fire

By: WOWT Email
By: WOWT Email

A space heater is being blamed for starting a fire that forced a mother and son to flee from their Omaha home Friday afternoon.

The woman told Channel 6 News her 3-year-old was in his bedroom, being warmed by a space heater, watching television when a blanket near him caught fire around 3:15 p.m. He went to tell his mother that it was hot in his room and that’s when she discovered the fire, which she tried to extinguish herself. After realizing she needed help, she called 911.

They were in the process of moving. Firefighters said the toughest part of the blaze was getting to it. The family had a number of items boxed and piled up inside the home near 30th and Seward.

The boy was checked for smoke inhalation and was okay. He and his mom will need a place to stay for the time being due to smoke damage throughout the house. The Red Cross was called to assist the family.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 189443101 - wowt.com/a?a=189443101
Gray Television, Inc.