He's accused of having more than 30 sexual encounters with children over the course of 30 years. Tuesday a judge ruled that Daniel Mangiameli will stand trial to face those charges, including first degree sexual assault of a child.
It was revealed Tuesday that just last week, Omaha Police received information that Mangiameli was renting a storage unit in Atlantic, Iowa. Inside police found "hundreds" of photos and videos of young boys believed to be between 11 and 15 years old.
Police have determined that 26 different victims appear in the pictures and or videos. So far, they have been able to identify eight.
"Pictures and videos and things like that, nothing was ever sold, there was no profit or anything. They were memories, I even viewed the darn things, and most of them were in storage,” Mangiameli said in an April 3rd jailhouse interview. "What they had was preadolescent sexual play, that's what gave them the opportunity to free themselves to just be boys.”
In that interview, Mangiameli revealed early on that he felt he had done nothing wrong by having sexual relations with the children.
Tuesday’s case against Mangiameli revolved around two boys who were 12 and 13 years old. Omaha Police Detective Amber Scholte testified that over the course of three years Mangiameli took pictures and recorded videos of the boys naked.
At this point, the details become especially disturbing.
The detective said the 12-year-old told her that he and Mangiameli would have sexual encounters that took various forms including oral and anal sex. Through the interview with the boy, Scholte explained Mangiameli called some sessions, “Jums”. The boy and Mangiameli would lie on each other naked with a vibrator placed between them. The 12-year-old told the detective that Mangiameli would pay him, upwards of $700.
Mangiameli is still being held in the Douglas County Jail. He has yet to post a $600,000 bond. Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine said he is still aggressively sorting, searching and identifying other alleged victims. Kleine estimated there are still 16 others that need to be identified from those photos and videos found in the storage unit in Atlantic.
In a courtroom outburst Tuesday, Mangiameli said, "I want this to wrap up, move through this to help save the boys from this trauma."
From the beginning, Mangiameli has said he will plead guilty to the charges once his case moves to district court. Judge Craig McDermott ruled there will be a trial. No date has been set.
Designed by Gray Digital Media