MIP Party Hotline; Invite the Police

Click below for a link to the Nebraska Office of Highway Safety:


Nebraskans have a new tool when it comes to underage drinking parties. The NE Office of Highway Safety has put together a publicity campaign and a hotline where one call can shut down a gathering involving minors and alcohol.

"Anyone can make the call," said Nikki Carritt with Project Extra Mile. "It can be used to report minors who are drinking, who are in possession of alcohol and who are trying to purchase alcohol."

The number is 1-866-MUST-B-21. Call it and law enforcement will be on its way.

Many adults won't have a problem making that call, but many students are beginning to get the message. They know tipping off authorities to an underage drinking party is the right thing to do.

“I would tell the authorities because it could lead to other problems like gang shootings or anything like that," said student Aaron Johnson.

“It just depends on how intense it would be if I know they're going to go out and do stupid stuff -- then yes I believe it could prevent future casualties," said student Robert Bradley.

"Youth leadership on this issue is one of the things we find to be the most important," said Carritt. "So if so if we have youth and their peers who know know the consequences -- know what can happen and to be really protecting their peers in these situations -- this is an easy way to do it."

The number again is 1-866-must-b-21. You don't have to leave your name.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 191494391 - wowt.com/a?a=191494391
Gray Television, Inc.