OPPD received a Confirmatory Action Letter from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission Friday. This means OPPD will begin acting on its recovery plan that will eventually lead to restarting the Fort Calhoun nuclear power plant.
OPPD reports the letter is the next step in the post-flooding recovery process. Earlier this week, the plant exited the emergency status due to spring and summer flooding on the Missouri River. The Notification of Unusual Event had been declared June 6.
OPPD submitted a post-flooding recovery plan to the NRC August 10. The NRC’s letter received Friday confirms it accepts the plan while establishing several priorities which must be completed before restart.
OPPD Chief Nuclear Officer Dave Bannister says OPPD intends to restart the plant “in the coming months”. In a statement, he said OPPD would not compromise on safety and the plant will not restart until OPPD is sure it is safe to do so.
Copies of the letter will be posted on the NRC’s website.
OPPD’s post-flooding plan is accessible by searching the NRC’s website here.