Flood Help From The Government

Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman received word from Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) officials that President Barack Obama approved a request for a Presidential Disaster Declaration for parts of Nebraska impacted by flooding.

Cass County, along with Burt, Dakota, Douglas, Garden, Knox, Lincoln, Otoe, Sarpy, Scotts Bluff, Thurston and Washington counties are in the Public Assistance declaration for flooding from May 24th to August 1st.

Individual Assistance was also approved in Cass and eight other Nebraska counties.

“This public assistance will help our local communities recover some of the costs associated with responding to the emergency situations and rebuilding public infrastructure damaged by this disaster,” said Al Berndt, assistant director of NEMA. “Nebraskans have been responding to flooding on both the Missouri and Platte Rivers since May and this declaration is much appreciated and needed.”

The State of Nebraska, local governments and qualified individuals in the declared disaster counties are now eligible to apply for and receive federal disaster aid.

“NEMA will continue to assess damages as flood waters recede,” Berndt said. “We are working with the FEMA’s Joint Field Office here in Lincoln to start damage assessments and the recovery process.”

Anyone with damage must register with FEMA in order to receive federal disaster assistance. Even though individuals may have applied for assistance with the USDA, filed a claim with the U.S. Corps of Engineers, received assistance from local voluntary agencies or have called the NEMA flood hotline to report their damage, they still need to register with FEMA for federal disaster assistance.

Cass County Emergency Management Agency Director Bill Cover wants all those living in the Missouri River bottom affected by the flooding to know about the individual assistance opportunity. Cover does not have any details yet on when the damage assessment process may start. Inspectors will wear an identifying badge.

For individuals and businesses that sustained damages and want to apply for federal disaster aid, you can register at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by phone toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362).

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127888303 - wowt.com/a?a=127888303
Gray Television, Inc.