A weekend plan to grill outside turned dangerous when a spark ignited a house fire. Everyone inside made it out safely, but the home was destroyed.
With grilling season here, firefighters remind us to make sure the grill is 10 feet away from a structure and on cement if possible. Also, never leave a grill unattended, especially on windy days. Flying embers could start a fire.
Ronnie and Debra Eggerson have turned a new corner in their lives after a fire Saturday night gutted the family's memories inside their home on Mormon Bridge Road near Interstate 680. "Documents, school pictures, baby pictures and everybody and all the kids bring their kids' stuff here, so all that's gone."
The suspected culprit of the fire was a meat smoker and the firebox once connected to it. “It just shocked me when they said the deck was on fire because I closed the gate on the firebox and left just a gap enough for the ventilation,” said The Rev. Ronnie Eggerson. “I just don't understand why in the world, how could that have happened?"
“They had trouble containing the fire because of the wind and because it was so hot in the house, so everything that didn't get burned up has smoke damage or is melted,” said Debra.
Now, the couple must pick up the pieces and move on. “When you get out with just the shirt on your back and your socks you have got to start all over. Because we are pastors, we are not exempt from those questions, we have asked why."
In the meantime, insurance helped the couple find temporary housing. “That room where the desktop was, that's gone.” Neighbors donated the shoes their walking in, but the Eggersons say it's part of a master plan from above. “Someday we will find out what it is, we don't know what it is right now, but we trust Him.”
"Like it's raining now, why couldn't it have rained then, why couldn't it have rained then?” asked Debra.
We are also reminded to give our grills the once over before using them. Inspect hoses and clean off excess grease and don't forget to clean the drip trays, too, so you don't get burned. If you live in an apartment, know it's against city ordinance to grill on your balcony.
A fund has been set up to help. It's called the Eggerson Family Fire Fund and donations are being accepted at any Great Western Bank.