Update: Worn Electrical Cord Blamed For Fatal Iowa Fire

By: WOWT, The Associated Press Email
By: WOWT, The Associated Press Email

Authorities believe a worn electrical cord from a lamp caused a house fire that killed three children and an adult in Lake City, Iowa early Tuesday morning.

Lake City Fire Chief Mel Alcox says the cord got stuck in the cushions of a couch, overheated and started the couch on fire. He says the room was being renovated with exposed walls and insulation, which caused the fire to quickly spread throughout the house.

A police officer on patrol noticed smoke coming from the southern edge of town about 1:45 a.m. and he followed the smoke to the house. The intense heat and smoke prevented the officer from getting inside.

The victims were identified as 22-year-old Tyra Pierson and her 10-month-old son Xavier. The other victims were Tyra's sister and brother, 8-year-old Madison and 3-year-old Wyatt. Lake City Police Chief Bobby Rist said they died of smoke and soot inhalation.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 179147771 - wowt.com/a?a=179147771
Gray Television, Inc.