Click link below for the website of Dillon's House:
An Omaha father who lost his son to an unintentional prescription drug overdose is sharing a powerful message with as many youngsters as possible.
"I look out and there are a lot of kids that look like Dillon," said David Hayes, who was speaking at a gymnasium assembly of 250 Millard Central Middle School students. "This is the youngest group I've talked to."
The program focuses on his son Dillon. "He was full of life and full of energy -- this is the story I'm telling about my son."
Three years ago, the Millard North student never got his first Jeep, never graduated, never had a family of his own.
Dillon Hayes died of a unintentional prescription drug overdose by mixing a cold medication with a painkiller.
"How many of you guys remember pre-school?" said Carey Pomykata, who was Dillon's pre-school teacher. Now the director of Dillon's House, she goes on the road to educate parents and children about prescription drug abuse.
"We want them to lock up the prescription drugs and kids are getting them out of the medicine cabinets - getting them from Grandma's," she said.
At Nebraska's Regional Poison Center, more than half the calls are about prescription drugs.
"We are 5% of the world's population but we sell 80% of the pain medications in our country," said Joan McVoy, who is the center's educator. "Our country is very addicted to prescription medications. People think because they got a prescription drug from a doctor, it's a safe medication. But a lot of these drugs are like cocaine and heroin."
And that's where Dillon's House comes in. The program aims to bring a dose of reality to those who feel like they're invincible.
"A lot of them came up and thanked me for my time and said they were sorry for the loss," said David Hayes. "That's the biggest group I've ever have come forward."
Beginning next Wednesday, local families will have a place where they can get rid of old pills any time they want. Hy-Vee will have drop-off containers at their stores.