When you are out shopping for your kids this Christmas, how often do you take a close look at the box? A Bellevue father was shocked at what he found.
Stephen Howard says he picked up an inflatable bounce house for his daughter, Katherine.
Howard says, "I have a five year old daughter and she loves going to places with the bouncy things so I thought this is going to be the perfect gift for her."
Howard braved the throngs of shoppers on Black Friday. He purchased an inflatable bounce toy by Jungle Bounce. Once he got home, he noticed a warning at the bottom of the box.
It reads: May contain lead. May be harmful if eaten or chewed. May generate dust containing lead.
Howard says, "It says do not chew, but you have to blow the thing up."
Howard isn't the only consumer who has been concerned with lead levels in these products.
In 2010, The Center For Environment Health tested dozens of bounce houses in California. They found some contained 70 times the lead allowed by federal standards.
Howard says will not risk anything with his daughter. He's taking the toy back.
"I don't think there is an acceptable level of lead," said Howard.
If you feel a product is unsafe, ask the Consumer Product Safety Commission to check it out.
It's website is cpsc.gov.
Just click on:"Report an Unsafe Product" on it's homepage.